Our regional health plans have provided pharmacy services for more than 20 years, and currently support safe and cost-effective medication treatment for 1.8 million members. The Regence Managed Care Pharmacy Residency program is designed to train the pharmacy resident in all aspects of managed care pharmacy in a health plan environment. Upon completion of the residency, the resident will be prepared for specific positions such as Clinical Program Manager, Formulary Management Pharmacist, Utilization Management Pharmacist, Prior Authorization Pharmacist, Clinical Pharmacist Consultant, and Medical Science Liaison within the pharmaceutical industry.
- Clinical Evidence Review and Evaluation: Review medication literature and apply critical appraisal methods to author evidence-based formulary monographs and therapy class reviews, and propose formulary recommendations to the Pharmacy & Therapeutics (P&T) Committee.
- Medication Policy: Develop evidence-based, medication-specific coverage criteria, and clinical management programs to encourage the use of medications that are safe, effective, and provide value to members.
- Prior Authorization: Recommend coverage determinations while supporting prior authorization and customer services teams.
- Clinical Programs: Develop and implement programs to manage medication use related to quality initiatives and cost stewardship.
- Administration/Operations/Sales: Learn about strategies that support the growth of the Regence Health Plans, including pharmacy contracting and benefit design. Provide clinical insight to Regence clients and support the sales team.
- Professional Development: Participate in regularly scheduled meetings with the Residency Program Director, Residency Program Coordinator, and pharmacist team. The Resident will gain experience in presentations to inter-disciplinary teams, as well as presenting at a national or regional pharmacy conference.
- Teaching (Elective): Enhance teaching skills through practical training workshops and hands-on experience in collaboration with the Oregon Pharmacy Teaching Certificate (OPTC) Program.
- Other experiences:
- Complete a residency research project and present at a national or regional meeting.
- Network with leaders in managed care pharmacy and the pharmaceutical industry.
- Participate in Oregon’s CityWide Group, a state-wide program aimed at promoting leadership, growth and networking of pharmacy residents (optional).
To develop clinically adept managed care pharmacists with strong leadership qualities who can manage projects, communicate effectively and critically analyze scientific literature and data.
Managed Care Residency Program Purpose
To build upon the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to develop managed care pharmacist clinicians with diverse patient care, leadership, and education skills who are eligible for board certification and postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training. A managed care pharmacy residency will provide systematic training of pharmacists to achieve professional competence in the delivery of patient care and managed care pharmacy practice.
Our regional health plans participate in the ASHP Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS) and the ASHP Resident Matching Program (the "Match"). Potential residents must possess a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an ACPE-accredited college of pharmacy, be licensed or eligible for licensure in Oregon, and have strong motivation to pursue a dynamic career in managed care pharmacy. A curriculum vitae, a letter of intent, academic transcripts, and three letters of reference are required for application. An on-site interview and presentation are required.
Starting Date: July 1 Estimated Stipend: $50,000 Number of Positions: 2
- Health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Vacation time allotted (17 days of paid time off)
- Stipend for professional travel and conferences
- Commute expense reimbursement available for public transportation
- 401k contribution
- Program Contact: Kevin.Chang@Cambiahealth.com
- ASHP Residency Directory
- Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP)
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP)